Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Walking

I frequently encourage my clients to walk, and sometimes I invite them to walk with me during our session. Frank MacEowen in "The Mist Filled Path" describes walking as "a poetic and sensual experience ... a spiritual act... an art form, a dynamic communion with the landscape... a special time to connect with another person..."

MacEowen quotes Soren Kierkegard who cautioned, "Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness that would have me; I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thoughts so burdensome that one cannot 'walk' way from it."

Walking on a regular basis is therapeutic on a number of levels. It releases endorphins (the 'feel good' chemicals in your brain, and natural pain killers), reduces risk factors related to obesity, hypertension, diabetes and high cholesterol, improves mood and relieves stress.

Following are some helpful links:

Walking in Nature to Promote the Health of the Mind, Body and Spirit

Healthy Maine Walks

Best Walking in Maine

Lewiston/Auburn Trails

No comments: